Lighters and weed go together like peanut butter and jelly. Having the right lighter can really enhance the smoking experience.
Whether you’re looking for a new flicker or your favorite lighter just died, here are the 7 best lighters for weed!
Our Top 7 Lighters for Weed
Nothing is more sacred than a bond between a stoner and their lighter. You’re going to pick a lot of bad lighters on this journey. So, let us make the decision easier for you.
What to expect:
- The best lighters for windy days
- Which refillable lighter is easiest to refill
- Learn which lighters are best for smoking a pipe
1. Hemp Wicks
If you’re smoking greens, might as well make your method green, too! Hemp wicks are a more sustainable and healthier way of lighting up than a disposable lighter.
These flammable sticks burn cleaner than butane lighters, so they provide less carbon emissions. Plus, you don’t inhale any potentially hazardous butane vapors into your lungs.
Unlike lighters, a hemp wick produces a relatively small flame. It’ll be easier to corner weed pipes without bud.
Also, lighters ignite at extremely hot temperatures. These flames can cause THC, other phytocannabinoids, and terpenes to burst. In turn, the weed tastes burnt.
Hemp wicks burn slower and cooler. They preserve the flavor of the marijuana. That way, you can actually taste the difference between different strains!
Lighting a hemp wick will still require a lighter. However, you’re not breathing the lighter’s harsh vapors through a pipe’s mouthpiece.
The Spooly makes it easy. This lighter guard goes around a regular BIC lighter. It’s fitted with a tiny metal incense holder where you can store your hemp wick.
Just pull the hemp wick out next to the flame and it will light slowly. When you are done using the hemp wick, slide it through the metal holder to snuff.
Using hemp wicks has grown in popularity over the past few years. This rise in demand has seen an uptick in reputable hemp wick brands.
American Beeswax’s Organic Hemp Wick provides 50 feet of cannabis-derived wick for your lighting pleasures. It is made with 99.9% pure beeswax and 100% organic American-hemp.
You can choose between waxy and less waxy to best meet your needs. More wax lights slower, allowing for precisely even bowl hits.
However, this option can get a little messier. Less wax ignites quicker but you will have last droplets to pick up afterward.
Twisted Bee 100% Organic Hemp Wick provides you with 200 feet of organic European hemp twine dipped in beeswax for a cool burn. This undyed twine causes no dripping. So, no need to watch your knees to avoid dripping wax as you check to see if the bowl is lit.
Toke Bomb is 200 feet of organic hemp wick. It unravels easily and breaks off with no problem. Easily grab off a piece on-the-go with the Toke Bomb.
- Organic Hemp and Beeswax Twine Hemp Wicks
- Beeswax Creates A Slow Burn That Helps You Corner Bowls, Preserve Weed Flavor, and Save on THC
- No Need to Inhale Harsh Butane Chemicals
- Less Carbon Emissions and More Sustainable Than a Disposable Lighter
- Can Take Up More Room Than A Standard Lighter
- Need a Lighter to Light It
- Might Drip Wax
2. Bic Classic Full Size Lighter
Can’t go wrong with old faithful. Bic lighters are the OG of smoking. The Bic Classic Full Size Lighter Maxi Full Size 5 Pack is the perfect pocket-sized lighter to light up anywhere.
These are reliable lighters that stand the test of time. Unlike the cheap see-through gas station lighters, the spark wheel will work until you finish the entire tank. It also has a smooth ridge over the spark wheel so you don’t end up with little rivets on your finger!
Bic lighters are built to last. As long as your friend doesn’t “accidentally” swipe one, you should have each of these lighters until the fluid is gone. If your bud does get away with one, at least you have four more as a backup!
You can really upgrade your smoking experience by sliding your Bic into a Toker Poker Lighter Sleeve. This multifunctional tool comes equipped with a poker that’s ideal for breaking up a clogged carb hole or swirling around some burnt bud.
It also has a tamper that helps move ash out of the way so you can find any residual greens chilling in your bowl. With its accessories and comfortable ergonomics, you’ll want one for each Bic lighter!
- 3 x 0.8 x 1 Inches
- 0.5 Pounds
- Assorted Colors
- The OG Of Smoking Weed, This Lighter Is Reliable
- Comfortable Spark Wheel
- Strong Flame That Can Withstand A Bit of Wind
- Many Accessories Fit This Lighter
- Everybody Steals A Bic Lighter
- Plain, Might Not Express Your Personality
While Bics are synonymous with the ease of a chill season, Zippos are known for their elegance. These lighters have been used in television and movies for centuries to depict lighting up a cigar or cigarette. Nowadays, they’re perfect for sparking up a joint.
Zippos are essentially wind resistant. The wick is encased in a screen that acts as a buffer from wind or breath blowing out the flame.
You can also hold it upside down and it will remain erect. Whereas, most lighter flames will dance in the bowl and curl back towards your fingers. Therefore, Zippo lighters are more scorch-proof.
Lighting a Zippo for long periods is no issue. You don’t need to hold down the stone as you try to even out the tip of your blunt. Once lit, the Zippo will go until the top is closed.
The top on a Zippo is ideal because you can’t put a hot lighter in your pocket right away. The lighting source on a Zippo is covered so you won’t end up with hot thighs.
Also, Zippos are more environmentally-friendly than most disposable lighters. Since you refill these lighters for weed with lighter fluid, less plastic ends up in landfills.
Lastly, Zippos help you capture your style. They come in so many colors, designs, and licensed decals. There is a style of Zippo out there for everyone.
- Refillable Lighter
- Assortment of Designs and Colors
- Sleek Design and Stylish Cames, Zippos Are The Most Fun Lighters
- Refillable and More Sustainable Than Disposable Lighters
- You Experience A Sense of Elegance When You Use A Zippo
- Wind-Resistant, Can Toke Up Outdoors Almost Anywhere
- Can Be Expensive
- Refilling Might Be A Bit Challenging, So Don’t Do It High
4. Djeep Lighter
Some smokers like to hang out with their lighter in their hand as they puff away. The Djeep Lighter Hot Body (pack of 4 ) Assorted Colors has the perfect grip for someone looking to unwind with a bowl.
These short disposable lighters have a square base and a larger width than typical lighters for weed. It fits perfectly in the grip of you spare hand as your other hand hangs out with the bowl.
You can adjust the flame of a Djeep, which is ideal outdoors. Sometimes a larger flame is more susceptible to wind. With its smallest setting, you can get deep into a bowl with a Djeep.
Lastly, this lighter has a child-proof mechanism. That is ideal if you have kiddos around…or like to pull pranks on your buds.
- 4,000 Flicks
- Child-Proof Mechanism
- Various Flame Settings
- Made in France
- A Lot of Customization Options For An Otherwise Simple Lighter
- Perfect Grip For Long Smoke Sessions
- Child-Proof Mechanism Is Handy For Preventing Accidents
- Just Stickers Around A Black Lighter, May Peel Off
- Lighters Tend to Break Before 4,000 Flicks
5. Clipper Lighters
Are you an incessant bowl packer? Then you need to check out the Original Clipper Lighters.
These popular European lighters thin out at the end, so you can move about ash and bud seamlessly. They are also compact enough to slip into a pack of cigarettes. Its tubular shape lends itself to the package without crushing the box.
Clippers are refillable. So, if you fall in love with one of these 20 designs, you can rest easily knowing that it will last you through the long haul.
- 3.5 x 0.5 Inches
- Made in Barcelona, Spain
- 20 Lighters with Assorted Designs
- Refillable Butane and Replaceable Flints
- 20 Lighters In One Purchase, It’s Okay If A Friend Swipes A Couple!
- Refillable, More Sustainable Than Disposable Lighters
- Cinches At End To Fit Into A Bowl
- Slides Into A Pack of Cigarettes Easily
- Designs Aren’t As Advertised
- Lighters Aren’t 100% Full At Arrival, Need to Refill After A Few Initial Uses
6. Kollea Torch Lighter
If you’re looking for power and customization in a lighter, then you’ll want to check out the Kollea Torch Lighter. This versatile lighter is a triple-flame torch. It’s the perfect smoking accessory for camping trips or a windy beach day.
With three flames, this lighter is almost wind-resistant. All three come together to create a pinpoint flame that helps you ration out your smoke session adequately.
The Koella Torch Lighter is refillable. It comes with a long nozzle that makes refilling easier and less messy to deal with.
It also comes with a built-in punch cutter for cigar smokers. This feature might not be too useful for weed smokers, though, as they usually have to take blunts apart to roll them up anyway!
- Refillable Triple Flame Lighter
- Safety Control
- Hairline Design
- Built-In Punch Cutter
- Gift Box
- Highly Durable, Extremely Wind-Resistant, Perfect For An Outdoors Excursion
- Fits Comfortably In Your Hand, Not Too Bulky For Traveling
- Easy to Refill
- Burns A Lot Of Fuel
- Scratches Easily
7. VioSparc – The Flameless Lighter Designed for Pipes
The future of lighters for weed is here! Go electric with VioSparc – The Flameless Lighter Designed for Pipes.
This lighter is the most sustainable because it doesn’t require gas, nor is it disposable. It’s rechargeable and heats up your bud using high voltage to create an energy arc. You don’t have to worry about inhaling any harsh chemicals or adding to your carbon footprint!
Unlike other arc lighters, this one is designed specifically for glass pipes. It has a handle and curves outward and down. That way you don’t have to flip the lighter to expose your cannabis to the “flame.”
While this lighter is highly versatile, don’t put it in a metal bowl. It will cause your smoke session to spark up like a fork in a microwave.
Different Types of Lighters
When it comes to choosing a lighter for your weed-smoking sessions, it’s important to consider the different types available on the market. Each type has its own unique features and benefits, as well as limitations and drawbacks. Let’s explore these options in detail:
Disposable lighters are a common choice for many weed smokers due to their convenience and affordability. These lighters are often made of plastic and come pre-filled with fuel. They are widely available and can be easily replaced when they run out of fuel.
- Features and Benefits: Disposable lighters are lightweight, compact, and easy to carry around. They usually have a simple ignition mechanism, making them user-friendly for beginners. Additionally, they are inexpensive, which is perfect for those on a budget.
- Limitations and Drawbacks: While disposable lighters offer convenience, they have some limitations. The plastic construction can make them less durable, and they may not withstand rough handling or extreme weather conditions. The fuel capacity is often limited, and once the fuel runs out, the entire lighter needs to be discarded.
Refillable lighters provide a more sustainable and long-term solution for weed smokers. These lighters can be refilled with fuel, making them cost-effective and environmentally friendly. Refillable lighters come in various types, each with its own set of features and benefits.
- Butane Lighters: Butane lighters are a popular choice among weed smokers. They use butane gas as fuel, which produces a consistent and adjustable flame. Butane lighters are reliable, easy to refill, and offer good flame control, making them suitable for different smoking methods.
- Torch Lighters: Torch lighters utilize a concentrated flame produced by mixing butane with air. They are known for their high flame temperature, which makes them ideal for heating concentrates or creating an even burn on larger smoking surfaces. Torch lighters often feature a windproof design, making them suitable for outdoor use.
- Plasma Lighters: Plasma lighters, also known as electric lighters, use electricity to create a plasma arc instead of a traditional flame. These lighters are windproof, as the plasma arc is unaffected by wind. Plasma lighters are rechargeable, eco-friendly, and can be a stylish option for weed smokers.
- Electric Lighters: Electric lighters are powered by a rechargeable battery and use a heating element to ignite the weed. They eliminate the need for fuel and can be charged via USB, making them convenient for on-the-go use. Electric lighters are flameless, windproof, and often have safety features like automatic shut-off.
Each type of refillable lighter has its own pros and cons, and the choice depends on personal preferences, smoking habits, and the desired smoking experience.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Lighter
When it comes to selecting the perfect lighter for your weed-smoking adventures, there are several key factors to take into account. These factors will help ensure that you choose a lighter that enhances your smoking experience and meets your specific needs. Let’s dive into these factors in detail:
Flame Intensity and Size
The flame intensity and size of a lighter play a crucial role in achieving an optimal smoking experience. It’s important to consider the following aspects:
- Explaining the Importance of Flame Control: A lighter with adjustable flame control allows you to customize the intensity of the flame, giving you greater control over the burn rate and temperature of your weed. This is particularly useful when smoking different strains or using various smoking methods.
- Suitable Flame Size for Different Smoking Methods: Different smoking methods, such as pipes, joints, and bongs, require varying flame sizes. For instance, a smaller flame is ideal for lighting a joint, while a larger flame may be needed to evenly heat a larger surface area on a bong or pipe. Choosing a lighter with a flame size that matches your preferred smoking method ensures efficient and effective lighting.
The type of fuel used in a lighter can significantly impact its performance and usability. Consider the following fuel options:
- Comparing Butane, Propane, and Other Options: Butane is the most commonly used fuel in lighters due to its clean-burning properties and high energy density. It offers a consistent flame and is readily available. Propane, on the other hand, tends to produce a hotter flame but can be less stable in colder temperatures. Other fuel options, such as ethanol or isobutane, may also be available and offer their own unique characteristics.
- Pros and Cons of Each Fuel Type: Understanding the pros and cons of different fuel types can help you make an informed decision. For example, butane is widely accessible, but it may struggle in extremely cold conditions. Propane, while offering a hotter flame, may require specialized lighters and can be bulkier. Consider the climate you’ll be using the lighter in and your personal preferences when selecting the fuel type.
Safety should always be a top priority when choosing a lighter. Look for lighters that offer the following safety features:
- Child-Resistant Mechanisms: Especially important if you have children or are concerned about accidental ignition, child-resistant mechanisms ensure that the lighter can’t be easily operated by young children.
- Windproof Capabilities: Windproof lighters are designed to withstand windy conditions, allowing you to light your weed without any hassle even outdoors. Look for lighters with windproof features to ensure reliable ignition.
- Automatic Shut-Off Features: Lighters with automatic shut-off capabilities are designed to turn off after a specific period of time to prevent accidents or excessive fuel consumption. This feature can provide peace of mind, particularly if you tend to get distracted while smoking.
Durability and Quality
Investing in a durable and high-quality lighter is essential for a long-lasting and reliable smoking companion. Consider the following aspects:
- Materials Used in Lighters: Lighters made from sturdy materials like metal or high-quality plastic tend to be more durable and resistant to wear and tear. Avoid lighters with flimsy construction that may break easily or fail to withstand regular use.
- Reliable Brands and Manufacturers: Opting for lighters from reputable brands known for their quality and craftsmanship can increase the chances of purchasing a reliable and long-lasting product. Research customer reviews and seek recommendations to ensure you’re choosing a trusted brand.
Lighter Maintenance and Safety Tips
Proper maintenance and adhering to safety guidelines are essential to ensure the longevity and safe operation of your lighter. Here are some important tips to keep in mind:
How to Refill and Maintain a Lighter
- Refilling a Butane Lighter: To refill a butane lighter, follow these steps: a. Purge any remaining fuel by pressing the refill valve with a small tool. b. Hold the lighter upside down and insert the butane fuel canister into the refill valve. c. Press the canister firmly and allow the fuel to transfer for several seconds. d. Remove the canister and wait for a few minutes before using the lighter to allow the fuel to stabilize.
- Maintenance Tips: Regular maintenance can extend the life of your lighter. a. Keep the lighter clean by wiping it with a soft cloth and removing any debris or residue from the ignition area. b. Check the flame adjustment mechanism regularly and ensure it moves smoothly. c. Store the lighter in a cool and dry place to prevent exposure to extreme temperatures or moisture.
Proper Storage to Prevent Accidents
- Store Lighters Safely: Store lighters out of reach of children and pets to avoid accidental use or ingestion. Consider using a designated storage container or drawer that is secure and inaccessible to others.
- Avoid Extreme Temperatures: Lighters should be stored away from direct sunlight, heat sources, or extremely cold temperatures. High temperatures can cause fuel leakage or even ignite the lighter unintentionally, while cold temperatures may affect the lighter’s performance.
Safety Precautions While Using a Lighter
- Follow Manufacturer Instructions: Read and follow the instructions provided by the lighter manufacturer for proper usage and safety precautions.
- Ignite Away from Face and Clothing: When lighting your weed, ensure that your face and clothing are a safe distance away from the flame to prevent accidental burns or fires.
- Use Lighters Designed for Smoking: It’s important to use lighters specifically designed for smoking. They are designed to withstand the demands of lighting cannabis and offer better flame control and safety features compared to regular lighters.
- Beware of Flammable Materials: Be cautious when using a lighter near flammable materials, such as loose papers or highly combustible substances. Keep them away from the flame to avoid accidents or unintentional fires.
- Extinguish the Flame Properly: After using the lighter, make sure to extinguish the flame completely. Avoid blowing on the flame, as this may spread embers or sparks. Instead, close the ignition mechanism or cover the flame with a cap, if available.
Why is a lighter important when smoking weed?
A lighter is an essential tool for smoking weed because it provides the necessary heat to activate the cannabinoids and other compounds in the marijuana.
This heat helps to convert the raw material into smoke that can be inhaled.
Without the lighter, the marijuana will not be able to reach its full potential as the compounds need to be heated up to be absorbed by the body.
The lighter also helps to evenly distribute heat, as it can be used to heat up the entire bowl or joint evenly.
This helps to ensure that the user gets an even burn and a more consistent smoke.
Without a lighter, it can be difficult to achieve an even burn.
Furthermore, a lighter can help the user to achieve a higher temperature when smoking.
Higher temperatures release more THC and other cannabinoids, resulting in a stronger and more potent smoke.
Finally, a lighter is also important for safety reasons. Without a lighter, users would have to resort to more dangerous methods of heating the marijuana, such as matches, lighters, and candles.
A lighter is designed to produce a precise, consistent flame that is much safer than other methods.
Overall, a lighter is an essential tool for smoking weed. It helps to activate the cannabinoids and other compounds, ensures an even burn, allows the user to achieve a higher temperature, and is also much safer than other methods.
Are butane lighters good for bongs?
No, butane lighters are not good for bongs.
The high temperatures produced by butane lighters can damage the bong and create an unpleasant taste.
In addition, butane lighters are not designed to be used with bongs, as they produce an open flame that could easily ignite the combustible material inside the bong.
The butane in the lighter can also leave an unpleasant taste in the smoke and contaminate the flavour of the herb. The best way to light a bong is with a hemp wick.
Hemp wick is a type of string made from hemp that is soaked in beeswax.
It is slowly lit, creating a heat that is far lower than that of a butane lighter and can be used to light the bong without any risk of burning the bong or imparting an unpleasant taste.
The hemp wick also lights faster than a butane lighter and is much safer to use. In addition, many bongs have a built–in bowl which can be lit with a hemp wick.
This is the safest and most effective way to light a bong, as it eliminates the risk of a flame coming into contact with the combustible material inside the bong and reduces the risk of a fire.
Overall, butane lighters are not suitable for use with bongs due to the high temperatures they produce and the risk of fire.
Hemp wick is the best option for lighting bongs, as it is safer and creates a much lower heat that won’t damage the bong or impart an unpleasant taste.
Can you use plasma lighter for bong?
No, you cannot use a plasma lighter for a bong. A plasma lighter is a type of lighter that uses electricity to heat up a coil, producing a plasma spark to light cigarettes, cigars, and other combustible materials.
A bong, on the other hand, is a type of smoking device that uses water to filter smoke before it is inhaled. Because a plasma lighter works by creating a spark of electricity, it is not suitable for use with a bong.
This is because the electricity could cause the water to spark and cause a shock to the user. Additionally, the heat created by the spark could cause the glass of the bong to crack, which would make it unsafe to use.
Furthermore, the heat created by the spark of the plasma lighter could cause the smoke to become too hot and harsh for the user to inhale.
This could lead to an unpleasant and uncomfortable smoking experience, and could even be dangerous for the smoker’s health. For these reasons, it is not recommended to use a plasma lighter for a bong.
Instead, it is best to use a traditional lighter or a butane torch to light your bong.
These options are safer and will give you a better smoking experience.
There are so many excellent options for lighters for weed. You can’t go wrong with any of these options. Each lighter has its own unique strengths that make it the right lighter for that particular occasion.
At the end of the day, we love the taste of weed. So, we want a lighter that preserves those flavors. That’s why hemp wick lighters are our final choice.
Hemp wick lighters are sustainable for the environment and your finances. They burn slowly and cooler than the other lighters so you don’t waste THC or terpenes.
Plus, you’re not pumping butane into your lungs or the air. It’s a win-win for all involved!